Saturday, March 21, 2009

Nut Experiment

Natalie loves nuts. She loves all kinds of nuts. She has never eaten a nut that she didn't like eating. She has tried peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios, cashews, macadamias, sunflower seeds, and maybe a few other ones that I can't think of right now.

We were sitting down to eat dinner one night recently, and Natalie found a bag of nuts in our pantry, and she wanted some. We convinced her that she could have some if she finished her dinner, and she agreed. At the end of dinner, I gave her some of the nuts, and then an idea came to mind. I was going to do an experiment....I guess I will always be an Engineer...

So, I took 5 different kinds of nuts (peanuts, pecans, pistachios, almonds, and cashews) and neatly lined up 5 of each variety in parallel lines. I told Natalie that she could only eat one nut at a time. So she sat there and ate all 25 nuts, but here is the interesting part...

She started with the peanuts, and ate every single one until all the peanuts were gone. Then she moved to the almonds and did the same thing. Then she ate the cashews the same way, then the pistachios, and then the pecans. It took her about 5 minutes to eat all of them, and as she would reach for the next nut, she would look at the other types as if to 'think' about it, but she ultimately went with the variety she was currently chewing on.

I found this very interesting, but I have NO CLUE what this says about her personality. Maybe someone with a psychology degree can help explain it to me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It probably means that she likes things to be orderly and logical!

Natalie- my favorite nuts are almonds. What kind do you like the best?
Love, Grandma Terri

Landon said...

I will answer that question since Natalie hasn't started typing, much less reading yet. Her favorite nut is the pistachio. I guess she takes after Grandpa Al.

Liz said...

David said "I don't what's weirder; her eatting the nuts that way or Landon performing the experiment." lol