Saturday, December 22, 2007

George Washington is Natalie's friend

For Mara and Kyle's last day in Philadelphia, we decided to go into downtown Philly and see some of the historical sites. We didn't have much time to spend in downtown because they needed to catch their flight, so we prioritized the visit down to 2 things...The Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.

We made it just in time to make the start of the guided tour of Independence Hall. They start you off by having everyone sit in one large room and listen to one of the rangers talk about the history of Independence Hall, etc. As you can imagine, it was like trying to keep Natalie quiet throughout an entire church service...not gunna happen. So I took her outside, and we found Mr. George Washington, and he graciously agreed to pose for a picture, although I had to do a little begging with Natalie.



After Natalie got to run off a little steam, we caught back up with the group, just in time to walk into the old courtroom. Kristin looked at me and said, "I just got goosebumps." It was surreal to stand in the very room where our forefathers could have tried early citizens for treason, or other crimes. All of the furnishing were made to look like the originals, as the room was later used by the British, and much of the original furnishings were destroyed.

Next they lead us to the room that was used to write the constitution. Again, the history in the room really captured the moment. We decided to take a family picture while were in Independence Hall.



The last stop on our quick visit was to see the Liberty Bell. We didn't have enough time to go through the tour inside, but you can see the bell from the outside, which was a good enough view for us.



I think that I have officially taken one more step closer to becoming like my father when it comes to history. If I would have come here as a kid with my parents, I would be the one running out in the grass next to the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall. My dad would have been the guy with his camera around his neck, reading every poster and taking every tour that was given. I now get to be the father that will drag my kid(s) around the country looking at historical monuments. I guess I turned out okay after all, and that is what I will tell Natalie when she gets old enough to ask me why we are stopping on the side of the road to read a historical marker (you didn't think I would forget that would you dad?!)

Landon

p.s. After we took Kyle and Mara to the airport, we (pronounced 'Kristin' in this context) really wanted to go to the King of Prussia mall. For those that are not aware of this mall, it is the second largest mall in America (don't feel bad, I didn't know that either until we moved here).

While Kristin was doing some shopping, Natalie and I walked around and went to a few different stores. The last one on our tour was the golf megastore, where Natalie did one of the cutest things she has ever done.

I wanted to try out a new style of putter, and Natalie was content with watching me putt 1 ball, but then after that, she wanted to "help" me. I didn't mind, so I had her stand in front of me, and she would grab the shaft of the putter, and we would putt together. We putted 3 8-10 ft putts, and what do you know, we made the 3rd one! I celebrate to show Natalie that we did it, expecting her to want to try again with me.

She turns around, looks at me, and I think I see the light in her head go off, but with a little confusion mixed in as well. She quickly bends down, picks up a golf ball and walks over to the hole we were putting to. I thought that she was going to grab the ball that we just made, but she didn't. She set the other ball in the hole, and then stood back up and starting saying "yay, yay!" and clapping her hands.

I couldn't stop laughing! It was one of the cuttest things I think she has ever done...but then again, I am her sports crazed father...she hit one right up my alley. If that wasn't enough, she walked back, and got another ball and did the same thing.

I look forward to experiencing many more moments like the one tonight.

1 comment:

G-MA said...

Glad that you are going to carry on the tradition of the family.
That is really cute what Natalie did with the golf ball.
Have fun in Iowa.
Miss and Love you,
G-MA and G-Dad