Thursday, July 17, 2008

Strawberry Picking

On a recent, hot, sweaty, Saturday morning, we loaded up in the car and met up with all the kids from church to pick strawberries at a local organic farm. No, we did not ride our bikes to the organic farm, we chose to burn some gasoline so we could stay cool...and the fact that the farm was 15 miles away.

Here is a picture of Natalie as we get ready to pick. At this point she is covered in sunblock and bug spray, both non-organic substances, so we made sure that we didn't rub up against too many plants. I didn't want the Al Gore police to follow us home. :)



The strawberries we very ripe (some were too ripe) and it took Natalie a few minutes to figure out that you can't just grab them on the red part with the middle of your hand and pull. For those of you that do not know this, Natalie does NOT like to get her hands dirty. She will literally stop eating at the dinner table if she gets food on her hands, until she can get them cleaned off. I am not sure where she picked this up. I guess if she starts wiping her hands on her jeans then I will know it is from me.



After Natalie got the hang of picking strawberries, she became more interested in running around with all the other kids. So, I was the designated picker for the family (I actually enjoyed it, but I am not going to quit my day job) and picked several pounds of strawberries. Once we got our basket full, we had to go and weigh them, and pay for them. They were a little more expensive than buying normal strawberries at the store, but much cheaper than buying organic at the store. Plus, they tasted better than what you can buy at the store anyways, so I wasn't going to complain.

There were several older ladies that brought HUGE baskets to fill up. They looked like they were going to go home and make jam or something...yummy...but after picking a few pounds myself, I am glad that we didn't plan on making jam ourselves. A few pounds was enough for me to get the "full experience".

After picking, we went over to the Young's house for ice cream and strawberries...at 10 in the morning! I guess it is never too early to eat ice cream. We had a great time, and I did take more pictures, which can be seen here:

Link to all the pictures

No comments: